The Huntington Guild of Bell Ringers

 

The Ringing Chamber

In 2000 the band refurbished the ringing chamber, with a new seating bench covered with carpet that doubles as storing space; a new door (complete with bullet-proof glass!); built-in ladder; ropes (with red and blue sallies to replace the old green, yellow and black ones); and metal stools which can be neatly stacked away. The sixth bell was also turned in its pit to improve the rope circle. New boxes were made, a new carpet to match the ropes was laid, and new lights were installed into the ceiling.




The Tower Stages

 


A Brief History of the Church

There has been a church on this site for over 800 years. The date of the first church in Huntington is unclear, but it is certain that there was a church in late Saxon times.

A second church was built in the 12th and 13th centuries, but probably rebuilt in the 15th century, although parts of the Norman building remain today in the chancel.

In 1874 the nave of the church was demolished to make way for a new building, designed by C. T. Newstead. This includes the present tower, although it was not included in the original plan. Most of the chancel, however, was preserved, and still stands today, although the window traceries were altered, and filled in with new stained glass. A vestry was also added on the north side of the chancel at the same time.

A new extension was added on to the north side of the nave in 1993 to provide catering facilities, a meeting room and toilets. The meeting room was named after the then rector, the Reverend Neill Mackay.